Walking, waiting, walking, and a jog

Monday, August 6, 2012

Greetings, all! It's a completely B-E-A-UTIFUL Monday in South Bend! I'll get to that in a minute, though. First, a weekend recap. 

On Friday, Dan and I headed in to Chicago to go to dinner with Teresa and Dave and drinks with Erica and Lisa. It was a wonderfully hot evening of catching up, laughing, eating, and drinking. We made it back to T's around 11 (after stopping so the boys could pick up crappy Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches, of course) and promptly went to bed. At 6 a.m., Teresa and Dave got up to run 10 miles. They're both marathon training and are doing AWESOME on their pursuits. When they returned a few hours later, Dan and I were still being lazy and sleeping. We'd contemplated working out but decided against it. This actually proved to be a smart decision. 
D and me at dinner
Rooftop drinks with the SMC girls (minus Lynny!)
So, we set off on our day, starting with brunch with E and Lisa. We went to an awesome little cafe and then walked down to the museum campus to see some sights. It was, approximately, a billion degrees, and I completely sweat through my tank top. By the time we walked back to Teresa's, I had to change into a different shirt. Then we coated ourselves in sunscreen and walked to Grant Park for Lollapalooza. Did I mention the walking? There was a LOT of it. More on that in a minute.

Upon getting in to Grant Park, we found Dan's friends and hunkered down in some shade. It was HOT. But, wanting to explore, we separated from the group so Dan could show me the sights and sounds of Lolla. We hadn't been there for more than an hour when all of the sudden, everyone started swimming upstream away from the stages. Finally, we stopped someone to ask what was going on, and that's when my handy dandy iPhone Lolla app informed us that severe weather was about to hit Grant Park and everyone was to immediately evacuate. Well. S$#&. The wonderful Lolla people had predesignated places to go, but upon realizing they were underground parking garages, we went rogue and stepped into a Barnes and Noble on Depaul's campus. So, we waited. Then we sat in a hall and waited. Then we went in a Sbarro (which, mind you, had completely run out of pizza since it was so busy) and waited. And finally, one chocolate frosted cake donut and cheese bagel twist later, we were in Dunkin Donuts... still waiting. Against all odds, the severity of the storm hadn't managed to mess up the concert venues, and we were allowed back in Lolla! So, we walked all the way back. Thankfully, the rain killed the heat a bit, which was huge and needed. 
Dan's sad face... but it got happy later! 
The fun kicked off with watching FUN perform, then heading over to Franz Ferdinand, then going to Calvin Harris, and finishing up the night with Truffle Mac and Cheese and the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert. I've literally never seen Dan so excited about anything in his life. He was completely over the moon excited. He sang, he danced, he sang and danced. Our feet were covered in mud from the earlier downpour, but seeing him so happy made me forget the dirt, grime, and insanity around us. I took an awesome video of him, but he won't let me post it. I'm contemplating doing it anyway. 
Calvin Harris... "I feel so close to you right now"

Red Hot Chili Peppers, "How long, how long will I slide..."
At the end of the night, we battled the crowd (quite literally, almost) to get out of Grant Park and walk back to Teresa's. We estimated we went about 8 miles throughout the course of the day. Between that and standing the entire time, I'm totally counting that as a work out. We got back to Michigan City around 2:30 and immediately fell asleep... until 11 a.m. on Sunday! I don't even know the last time I slept that late... it's been years! 

Today was the end of my week-o-rest. I thought about waiting one more day just to be safe, but when I woke up, the temperature was 55 degrees, and I just couldn't pass up a cool morning run (FINALLY). I ran two miles. I ran them slowly. I thought about my form the entire time. And, my hip feels pretty okay! I think not sleeping on it has helped tremendously. I'm going to keep stretching and doing everything anti-inflammatory I know how to do. But, I'm hoping I've avoided anything terrible. I think I'll try again tomorrow! There's only one more week of summer, and I want to embrace every minute of it. :) 

1 comment:

Template Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2014)